Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Fry one, let the sun shine, and let it walk!

After years of eating, months of talking, weeks of planning, and a couple of hours legitimately working it's finally come to a head: This is my blog.

Let me begin by stating that which will soon be obvious- I love diners. I know quite a few people who can certainly make this claim. From post-practice meals with the boys on the swimming and water polo teams in Missouri, to late-night and early morning rendevous with college friends in New York, and long periods of sitting alone with a book or play and a cup of coffee everywhere in between, really good greasy spoons have become a huge part of my existence. I want nothing more than to share a part of this existence and relate, if I can, just exactly what it is that makes these almost distinctly American establishments so close to the hearts of so many.

Living in New York City provides a few distinct advantages when it comes to diner dining. Firstly, there are a ton. A Menu Pages search for "Diners & Coffee Shops" returns a staggering 368 results for Manhattan and Brooklyn alone! A good number of those are open 24/7. Add to this the sprawling reach of the subway system, and one can quickly understand that New Yorkers can visit one wherever and whenever we elect to do so. 

I am not yet sure what form this blog will take. At this juncture, I think it will be a review-type process. I will visit a diner, choose something off the menu, and record the entire experience. I will definitely discuss the menu (including what I eat, its price, atc), and the atmosphere (or, as a dear friend of mine says in her (awesome) blog, "what my senses told me"), but the rest is up in the air. I will make no effort to eat the same thing at every location- I'll eat whatever I damn well please, thank you very much- but I will definitely take suggestions! I'll try to post which diner I'll be visiting next, and if you've ever been, or know someone who has, feel free to offer up your favorite dish. Oh, and I'll definitely be drinking coffee. What is a diner without a bitter, terrible, steaming cup o' joe?

I have the first experience recorded on paper, but it may be a bit before I post it. HINT: It's my favorite diner- The Waverly Restaurant.

Until then, from one Tom to another: Nighthawks at the Diner

2 comments:

  1. This is a brilliant idea and I support you one hundred percent. Let me know if you need a dining buddy.

    Joel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes to senses. May it all be sensational.

    ReplyDelete